Sign In Forgot Password

Our History

In 1848, a small group of families from Central Europe settled in Newark, New Jersey. Dedicated to perpetuating Jewish tradition, they established rented rooms in an old building on High Street in Newark and founded Congregation B’nai Jeshurun (Children of the Upright).

The Congregation quickly grew and built its own synagogue. Over the decades, it moved from Newark to South Orange, until finally settling in its present structure on South Orange Avenue, in Short Hills in 1968. With growth came change.

B’nai Jeshurun evolved rapidly from its original Orthodox Judaism to Reform Judaism. By the turn of the 20th century, B’nai Jeshurun had become one of the foremost Reform Congregations in the United States.

Today, more than 1100 families are members of Congregation B’nai Jeshurun. Deeply committed to the ideals of a living Judaism, B’nai Jeshurun is dedicated to strengthening our Jewish identity, deepening our Jewish spirituality and fostering moral justice and social action.

Living Jewishly in an ever-changing world is a challenge, which this historic Congregation will continue to meet for generations to come.

Tue, July 23 2019 20 Tammuz 5779